Thursday, February 09, 2006

Update #1 January 30: Arrival in Philippines

Just a quick email to everyone to let them know that the three of us (me, Little Grape and Pheobe) arrived safely in the Philippines. The flight went quite well actually. Pheobe was silent the entire time and didn't have any accidents in her sherpa - probably because she was terrified. I had my first bit of culture shock when I went to the bathroom in the airport in Japan. The first couple of stalls didn't have a toilet. Instead, there was this kind of hole in the floor and I can only assume you're supposed to stand when going pee. I kept waiting in the bathroom, hoping someone would come in so I could ask them what to do, when I noticed there was a handicapped bathroom. Luckily, that one had a toilet.

My first exposure to the Philippines has been mixed. First the not-so-great. The airport was crowded and not air conditioned and then when you get outside you wait like cattle under your initial for someone to come and get you. The drivers all honk their horns to say anything from Hi, to you cut me off. It gets quite noisy. When we first arrived at our apartment, I was greeted by the largest cockroach I've ever seen. He clearly was the boss as he didn't even run away when the light went on. Luckily the doorman killed him. Roaches are definitely something I am going to have to get used to but since then I haven't seen another one (fingers crossed)!

After a long night's sleep, we got up to meet Glen and Laine (Dave's boss and his girlfriend) for brunch at the Shangri La Hotel. It is a very, very fancy hotel with a huge buffet. Afterwards, we went for a quick stroll around the neighborhood and the apartment building. The weather is very hot! I am definitely going to have to get used to not needing a coat whenever I go out. The rest of Saturday was spent relaxing and catching up on sleep.

Sunday we woke up at 4:00 AM and went for a long walk around the neighborhood until Starbucks opened up. After Starbucks we went to the large shopping area in Ayala Center and went grocery shopping at SM. I have never seen so many aisles of rice and noodles in my life! There is even a whole aisle dedicated to canned meats. Canned fruits and vegetables, by comparison, barely take up a half of an aisle. Luckily there is a lot of really cheap fresh fruit and some Northern American food. Apparently there is even a store that sells President's Choice - but I haven't been there yet. After shopping, we went to Glen and Laine's for a potluck dinner with the rest of the expats at Dave's office. It was a lot of fun! Everyone seems very nice and friendly. The food was good - there was everything from lamb (we brought it) to turkey, salads, tomato and mozzarella and ice cream.

Today, we went for our traditional coffee and banana bread at Starbucks and then hung out. I went for a swim and then picked up some lunch for us. Dave has now gone to work and I'm at Starbucks using their WiFi access. The rest of my night will be spent unpacking our stuff and trying to make our apartment as comfy as possible. Phoebe has adjusted well to the apartment and has already chosen her favourite place - the couch. Dave did pick up a dog basket for her, but Phoebe snubbed it until I made it all soft and cushy with sheets. Now she loves it.

The TV is pretty good here, I can even get the OC, CSI, Friends and I've heard I can catch Survivor and The Bachelor. However they will probably be older seasons as the Bold and the Beautiful is about 1 year old. Unfortunatley no Y&R, but I can catch the latest season of American Idol. Movies are on all the time too so the TV situation is definitely ok.

It's been amazing being back with Dave and finally being able to relax after the stressful last couple of weeks. It's great to have our little family unit all reunited. I'm adjusting well to life in Asia but can't wait until we end up at Clark as it will be where we will feel a bit more permanent. Clark will also be quieter and less polluted.

I want to thank all our friends and family who have been so helpful to us with this move and adjustment.

Hope all is well with you.
Dave sends his love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home