Thursday, February 09, 2006

Update #2 February 3, 2006: Getting Adjusted

Hi

We don’t have Internet access at home yet and might not until we end up in Clark so no Skype or Web cam hooked up yet. I’m using the local Starbuck’s Wifi access. It’s not too bad but I quickly use up my time, so this time I drafted the email on Word at home and will just spend my time copying and pasting into Hotmail.

Well, I’m starting to adjust a little more to my new home now. Luckily I haven’t seen any more roaches. Let’s hope it stays that way! Could be because Dave went through the whole apartment with tinfoil covering all the pipes and we’ve stored most of the food in the fridge or in ziplocs or tupperware. Whatever it is, I’m a happy girl.

I still haven’t figured out the phone. For some reason, it’s not as easy as just punching in the numbers. It changes depending on what you are calling (land or cell) and where. Sometimes there is a 0, sometimes not. Sometimes you use the area code, sometimes not. Most of the time people just text each other.

The weather has been nice. Warm but not too sunny. I think it would be similar to an early summer in Canada. Definitely a nice change from the snow and cold.

Most of my day is spent trying to find my way around the big city. Shopping is especially interesting. There are about 5 huge malls all about a ten minute walk from where we live. Each around the size of Eaton’s Centre. However, all the malls run into one another so you can get lost very easily. It is weird to see so many North American stores and restaurants. There is the Body Shop, Kenny Rogers Roasters, TGI Friday’s, McDonald’s (and their McCafe), Pizza Hut, Subway, etc.. The only difference is that the meals all come with rice. The taste of the meat is different, but passable. Also instead of ‘upsizing’ you ‘go bigtime.’

I’ve started stocking the fridge and pantry and cooking some meals - much to Dave’s delight. I’ve made a lamb tenderloin with potatoes and carrots, Shepherd’s Pie, and a fritatta. I’ll probably have to keep recycling those menu items as all of my recipe books are packed. It’s interesting that almost none of the meals here have vegetables or dairy. I have to make sure we both eat our share of cheese, yogurt, and milk at home and I always sneak veggies into meals. Fruit isn’t a problem as the fresh pineapple and mangoes are really cheap.

Walking is definitely different here - as is driving. Toronto has nothing on Manila. Noone uses seatbelts. In fact, in all the cabs I’ve been in I don’t think any of them have seatbelts. Walking is definitely considered a sport when you decide to cross the street. Lights are considered suggestions. There aren’t even lanes on the road. You can find about 6 different cars jockeying for what would normally be three lanes. Honking is used all the time. The first couple of times I crossed the street by myself I felt really proud.

We’re starting to settle into a routine. During the weekdays, we spend the morning together and then Dave goes to sleep around noon until 8:00 p.m. I do errands and go for a swim in the afternoon and join him at around 5:00. Dave goes to work at around 9:00 p.m. and comes home for lunch at 1:30, wakes me up and I start my day. I also end up taking some naps throughout the day. This weekend we’re aiming to go down to the Harbour and explore the city.

Some of the time I feel very big and wonder if people just think I’m huge or if they realize I’m pregnant. I must say I get very excited when I see a Philippino larger than me. Of course, noone is taller than me, but I have seen about 5 that are thicker. I’ve started to waddle due to Little Grape. I don’t really even notice it anymore. He is very active - as always. Both Dave and Phoebe have felt him kicking. Dave by putting his hands on my tummy, Pheobe by lying on my tummy. Today marks 20 weeks, so we are already half way through the pregnancy. I gotta admit, I am enjoying being pregnant.

I hope everything is well with all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home